Immanuel had its beginning in 1926 when a committee was formed of people desiring a Lutheran service in the Lakewood area. Until this time people would have to travel to Trenton to attend a Lutheran church. The first Lutheran service was held in the All Saints Episcopal Church on Second Street here in town with visiting Lutheran pastors. Our first pastor, the Reverend August Greve, was called in 1927. With an increase in members, a plan for constructing our own building was adopted. On October 29, 1933, the cornerstone was laid. Work progressed quickly and on Christmas Eve, 1933, Immanuel was dedicated with a service in our own church building. Pastor Eberbach was called to Immanuel in 1933 and Pastor Adler was called in 1937. That was the year when we purchased our first organ. Pastor Rowoldt came to us in 1939 and the call went to Pastor Weidknecht in September of 1963. With the growth of membership in the sixties came the need for a larger building. In 1967 construction was started on a new church and the office spaces connecting it to the original church. The dedication of this new church building was May 26, 1968. Immanuel's third construction undertaking was the building of our Educational Center. This building was dedicated in June of 1974.
Currently we have a Vice Pastor, the Rev. James McKinley. He is helping to guide Immanuel as we move into the future. With God's help, may we continue to grow....giving thanks for the past and doing our best to spread His wonderful teachings to our community.